POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Dark Triangles on Poser figures : Re: Dark Triangles on Poser figures Server Time
3 May 2024 04:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dark Triangles on Poser figures
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 4 Jun 2004 07:27:26
Message: <40c05c9e$1@news.povray.org>

news:40bbaa3d$1@news.povray.org...

> Does anyone have any more helpful hints?

Photoshop...

There are several issues with meshes in POV-Ray and this is one of them...
and not the worst. At least black triangles can be photoshoped away.
Subdividing is a solution but then it's not always possible to keep the uv
vectors (Cinema 4D can do that but it's not exactly free). Christophe
Bouffartigue once made a patch that seemed to fix this problem.

Here are other issues you will meet at one time or another:

- using high radiosity settings on multi-layered, semi-transparent meshes
(such as hair) tend to darken them, sometimes turning the texture into pure
black. I never found a solution for this.

- under certain lighting conditions, interactions between parts of the mesh
give ugly results: lighting artifacts start shining through the edges of the
triangles (nice cracking effect) or in other places. Particularly, I have
ongoing problems with the eyebrows and lashes when used with certain hair
models in Millenium figures. I sometimes use uvmapper to remove eyebrows and
lashes, which fixes it but isn't a good solution for close-ups. This is why
the kid in the "Reach of the stars" picture is seen from behind...

-in Pov-Ray 3.5 using meshes and reflections can sometimes end up in an
infinite loop (a real plague when I was working on the WTC memorial
project). This seems to be fixed in 3.6 though.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com